Purcellville Orthopedic is now offering TelePT Services Schedule now
Get the expert care you deserve from the comfort of your home with our secure online appointments.
WHAT EXACTLY IS TELEPT OR TELEHEALTH?
TelePT is physical therapy that takes place virtually via an encrypted video platform, enabling physical therapists and patients to begin and continue treatment from anywhere in the world.
BENEFITS OF TELEPT
- Social Distancing: Not coming into the clinic helps you to stay as safe as possible amidst the current COVID-19 pandemic while still receiving top-quality physical therapy care.
- Convenient: Continue receiving the same expert treatment and care you’re already used to without having to go anywhere.
- Expert Care from Anywhere: Whether you’re at home, a family member’s house, or away on vacation, all you need is internet access (and maybe some basic exercise equipment) and you’re good to go.
- Focused One-on-One Treatment: Receive undivided one-on-one treatment from your physical therapist, including everything from evaluation and diagnosis to exercises and activity modification.
- Individualized Advice For Your Daily Activities: Your physical therapist will have the unique ability to observe day-to-day activities that worsen your symptoms and suggest modifications to improve them.
HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT FOR YOUR TELEPT APPOINTMENT:
We are currently using an encrypted, HIPAA-compliant platform called doxy.me that allows us to hold secure video appointments with our patients. That being said, we are anticipating switching to another platform in the near future, so we’ll keep you updated as we near this change.
You’ll receive an email from your physical therapist with instructions on getting set up and signed in along with any other relevant information at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment.
Your TelePT session will last anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on the severity of your condition and progress.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
You will need internet access, a computer that has a working microphone and audio, an open and safe space in which you can move around, and a sturdy chair or countertop for balance. That being said, any exercise equipment you have available will prove helpful as well. This can be anything from foam rollers to dumbbells to a yoga mat. That way, your physical therapist can ask you to make use of some of these things if necessary as a part of your physical therapy treatment and program.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE SESSION?
NEW PATIENTS/RETURNING PATIENTS WITH NEW ISSUES
If you are a new patient or are seeing your physical therapist for a new issue, they will perform an initial evaluation to gather all the necessary and relevant background information they need. They will then ask you to perform certain movements and exercises to further identify the issue. Last, they will give you their assessment regarding what they believe to be the problem and describe your personalized plan of care, which you will begin during this session.
RETURNING PATIENTS FOR FOLLOW-UP TREATMENT
If this TelePT visit is a continuation of your current treatment plan, your physical therapist will start by checking in and seeing how your condition has been changing or progressing. Then, they will ask you to do exercises that target the specific impairments they deem most important to focus on while they monitor your performance.
HOW MUCH DO TELEPT VISITS COST?
Due to COVID-19, we are currently charging a discounted fee of $30 per 30-minute visit and $60 per hour-long visit, however you will be reimbursed for all but your copay if your insurance company pays for the session.
WILL INSURANCE COVER MY TELEPT VISIT?
Many insurance companies are covering TelePT services, however it depends on your individual plan and the Explanation of Benefits we receive from them. If your insurance company does cover your visit, the fee will go towards your copay, deductible, or coinsurance, or you will be refunded the amount minus your copay. We accept all major insurance companies, but feel free to contact us if you’d like to make sure we accept your insurance in particular.
HERE ARE A FEW WAYS RESEARCH SUPPORTS THE EFFECTIVENESS OF TELEHEALTH
- A systematic review showing accuracy of TelePT assessments of range of motion, pain, strength and endurance among other measures.
- A study with 26 patients showing high satisfaction with health outcomes obtained though TelePT.
- An opinion article discussing uses and benefits of TelePT and citing articles showing successful use of TelePT in various settings.